Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Day 2: The Problem of Noise

Day 2: The Problem of Noise


Clatter, Blare, Uproar, Tumult, Clamor, Hubbub, Racket...

These synonyms of noise capture the ruckus of the streets of Jerusalem, the valley, the place of the skull, the cross, the vail being torn, the stone being rolled away, the 500 witnesses that Jesus appeared to after the resurrection, the ascension...but I can't get out of my mind the smaller sounds...the smaller sounds that linger in my mind, my heart, my soul, my body...I am caught up with the scuttlebutt that transpired multiple times through the Holy Week with these men trying to find Jesus guilty. Before I lose you let me define scuttlebutt. (Scuttlebutt is a water cask kept on a ship's deck. Meaning "rumor, gossip" first recorded around 1901, originally nautical slang, traditionally said to be from sailors' custom of gathering around the scuttlebutt.)

However as I think of the meddling, rumors, lies, and scuttlebutt that these men were using to scandalously go after Jesus I am immediately flooded about how I let the same small noises consume my own heart. Go with me hear for a second. Think about the how the smallest of lies, stories, rumors, or even conspiracies derail you. Yes Jesus was in complete control of the Holy Week no doubt at all but Satan was having his sweet jolly time that week. The week that looked so miserable for Jesus was looking so tremendous for Satan. Think about the glory, boasting, power, and praise Satan must of thought he was gaining this last week...Judas joined his team to sell Jesus out, Peter acting like a fool in the moment and denying Jesus, the trails of lies, the beatings, and the final breath. Satan must of thought he had won...

Now think about our own lives...the lies, stories, rumors, doubts that we allow the enemy to plant in the beautiful soil of our lives. God is doing so much and birthing new life yet we allow the enemy to plant a thistle or thorn bush. We listen to his rumors, lies and distractions. Then as we listen we begin to believe and act out in response to his crazy voice...the small voice of confusion...

The problem with noise in our day may not be the large sounds and big crashes but the small sounds, rumors, and lies from the voice of the enemy...rather than the still small voice of the Holy Spirit. And the greatest problem of noise is the lingering effect...we often fall in love with the noise...the lies...and we allow the identity of the lie to define us, consume us, and drive us. So today think with me about the small noises around the Holy Week..the foot steps of Judas leading to sell out Jesus, the sliding of sword across the ear of one of the evil men wit Judas, the snoring of the disciples in the garden while Jesus sweats blood. Small sounds make a big difference...let the small noise of Satan's voice flee and the powerful noise of Jesus reign strong.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Jerrell-

I totally resonate with this as I just left the majestic, peaceful redwood mountains, and i am now spending part of Holy Week in Las Vegas. Hmmmm.... Something seems wrong. But in the midst of knowing WHOM I seek, I've been able to hear the birds chirp their praise about the towers of babel attempting sky status. @Court_Strong