Monday, February 18, 2013

Kenya Time...

It appears that the only time I use this blog is when I am either on a trip around the world or during events of importance. Which I suppose is a good thing...I can't write like Amanda Jones or I might write more often.

I had never been to Africa and I can't believe I waited this long. William Taylor was right. He has told me for 7 years now that I needed to come with him. As I got on a plane to fly via Amsterdam to Nairobi I always leave with a pulled heart. I absolutely love being with my family. It's hard on me leaving my family. I would rather take them than leave them. So when I travel without them (which I do often for what I do) it's because Jesus has said to go. To see my son, Jayk, cry when I am leaving makes my heart hurt but he knows why we do what we do. As Christians we help people go to heaven. So as I the plane door closed (after a delay out of Houston) I locked in emotionally to see God's hand in Kenya. I arrived in Nairobi around 8:30 pm and made it to the hotel. I was beat.

The next morning I was to meet our travel provider at 10 am to leave. I woke up at 10:25 (ooops!!). I was up early and closed my eyes for just a few minutes...well those few minutes turned into longer. The great thing which often doesn't happen in the USA is what is known as "Kenyan Time."

So let's talk about time for a bit...I will write them with a number assigned...not that they are sequential...these are just my thoughts blasted from my heart to your eyes...hopefully they will speak to you too...

1. You plan your ways but God directs your steps...but do you let him...do I let him...or do we schedule so much that we have no room for Jesus to do a new thing...a new divine appointment...a divine conversation...a divine rest...

2. We waste our time...even when we schedule it. I like time management. I like getting things done. However, I want to put myself into a position that my life isn't run by clocks, agendas, time, and deadlines. Seriously...I get more work done when I work focused, live focused, serve focused but not on a time clock. So maybe it's not time management but it's life management...but you don't manage a dead life...we died to this life to live a dead life in Christ...we no longer live...He lives in us...Jesus lives in us...you don't have to manage your life when Jesus is your life...I am preaching to myself right now...but can I get an "amen!"

3. Time and community...community is never done on time schedules...relationships grow outside a time clock as well...coffee, meals, tea, lunches, trips, travel...these all need more "time" than people "have" to give...which I am tired of...I am sick of it...we have to schedule community now...how awful is that? I just saw this tweet today: "Working definition of community: people know each other deeply, serve unselfishly, celebrate often and endure life setbacks together. via Mark Miller" Let's let time be what others let control them...and but me and my family...we shall let the Spirit drive lead us...guide us...

4. Kenyan Time...people are people where I was in Kenya...not machines...not individuals trying to make a name for themselves...rather people apart of a greater body...a greater community...so I want to set my clock to Kenyan Time...what about you...? Will you join me...

1 Thessalonians 5:23-24
May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.

I leave you with the above scripture...your sanctification is what he is after...of your entire being...his faithfulness is what is behind the effort to change your through and through...let your life be changed...

Also pray for me...pray for Kay...pray for Jayk and Judah...pray for wisdom for us...leadership for us...insight...

Thanks
jerrell
Feb. 18, 2013

Please excuse my randomness is writing...some writing, some teaching, some preaching...but all with a heart for Jesus and his kingdom advancement.

No comments: